Connections Week 8 (Audrey)

Aaaaand here it is friends, the final chapters. 8 weeks goes by really quick, huh?
So, my final role here is that of the connector, so I present to you these connections between TFIOS and the real world.


  • We fight a lot with loved ones like Hazel and Augustus do in previous chapters, and a lot of times in fiction, tensions are abruptly ended because one party is in immediate danger, and the two suddenly lose sight of what they were arguing about in favor of taking care of each other. I don't know about you guys, but I've definitely had family squabbles come to screeching halts due to a more urgent matter, much like how Hazel and Gus' little fight seemed to end quickly once Gus was put in danger.
  • I'm very lucky to have not had any of my friends die prematurely, and I have never had to stand at a family member's funeral and speak about them. (Thank God, because if I did I would start crying before I even got to the podium) Unfortunately, this is something that happens a lot in real life. I volunteer for a summer camp for kids with cancer and their siblings, and as much as I love helping to take care of these kids, sometimes they don't all make it back for next year, and it's hard for everyone, especially people they've grown to love.
  • The small number of funerals I've attended were for older family members who died of age, peacefully in their sleep and such, and although it's sad it's incomparable to the death of a young person. No one at my great grandmother's funeral pretended to know her or say how much she meant to them, so why would people do that with younger people? If I die prematurely someday, I'm counting on you guys to call out people who do that, otherwise I'm resurrecting myself and haunting you until the Ghostbusters come and get me.
There's not a lot here I can really connect because I personally haven't experienced a lot like this, and I don't know about any of your experiences with this. So let me know (by Thursday of course) and I would say until next time, but of course... we're done here. So instead I'll see you all in class tomorrow!
Great job everyone!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I agree that there are very little connections to what most of us have experienced in this section. However, I can somewhat relate to what Hazel did in her actual eulogy as opposed to her prefuneral eulogy, especially with "funerals...are for the living". They really are; the person who is dead is not there to experience them and getting too deep about it will only make things worse in most cases. The point is to give people some sort of closure, which is so difficult when the person who died was so young.

-Kathy

Unknown said...

I've been unfortunate enough to have very important people in my life die, before their time, and when they were expected to. But nonetheless, death is something that much harder on those who need to carry on without the deceased. I mean... they're dead, they're not exactly gonna be upset.

Unknown said...

Hazel lost the man she wanted by her side forever. I cannot imagine how that feels, when she took comfort in the fact, that he would know what to say when she's gone. The one person who knew her better than herself. Losing a friend when your so young, is hard. It makes you grow up quick. Seeing someone who should have had future, die is just so wrong and a shock.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.