The Eloquent John Green

Hi again guys,
           
              I'm going to keep this really short and sweet. John Green really does have a way with words, it's not very often that I read a word and do not "know" it. Sure, I can infer what it means by the context it's in. I'm going to quote the excerpt a word was used in, and define it.





The Colonel laughed. I stared, stunned partly by the force of the voice emanating from the petite (but God curvy) girl and partly by the gigantic stacks of books that lined her walls. Her library filled her bookshelves and then overflowed into waist-high stacks of books everywhere, piled haphazardly against walls. If just one of them moved, I thought, the domino effect could engulf the three of us in an asphyxiating mass of literature.



asphyxiate: suffocation



"Who's the guy that's not laughing at my very funny story?" she asked.
"Oh, right. Alaska, this is Pudge. Pudge memorizes people's last words. Pudge, this is Alaska. She got her boob honked over the summer." She walked over to me with her hand extended, then made a quick move downward and at the last moment pulled down my shorts.
"Those are the biggest shorts in the state of Alabama!" "I like them baggy," I said, embarrassed, and pulled them up. They had been cool back home in Florida. "So far in our relationship, Pudge, I've seen your chicken legs entirely too often," the Colonel deadpanned. (15)



deadpan: can be compared to sarcasm; to say something amusing with a serious expression.






1 comments:

Unknown said...

Good word choices!! "Deadpanned" is one of my favorite verbs. :)

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.