Passages (Pg. 137-177)

Okay so from this point on, I'm not gonna be happy about the book, just because it gets so intensely sad, at least for me.  And, if anything, that's a compliment to the book, because it's a rare occurrence that an event makes me emotional, let alone a book.  But anyways, I'm gonna find a few meaningful passages and be done for the night.

So shortly after Alaska's death is announced to the whole school, Pudge is thinking to himself,
               "It's all my fault.
I thought. I don't feel very good.
I thought. I'm going to throw up." (Pg. 139)
Now, being that this is a one-way conversation, I don't know if any of you readers have experienced death, let alone a death of someone so, so close to you, but in my case, it's almost impossible not to blame yourself for it.  So to our dear readers, and to my fellow bloggers, please take a minute to remember those you've lost, give them another moment of your time.

"The whole passage was underlined in bleeding, water-soaked black ink.  But there was another ink, this one a crisp blue, post-flood, and an arrow led from 'How will I ever get out of this labyrinth!' to a margin note written in her loop-heavy  cursive: Straight & Fast."  (Pg. 155)
Not only is this quote Pudge & Alaska's "thing," but what she wrote after the quote has planted a thought much darker than death itself into the heads of Pudge and the Colonel.

"The Colonel sat down next to me in religion class, sighed, and said, 'You reek of smoke, Pudge.' 'Ask me if I give a s***.' [said Pudge]"  (Pg. 157)
We knew that the Great Perhaps, whatever it would be, was going to change Pudge for the rest of his life. Granted, grief, even a grief this strong, will fade eventually, but the bitterness is something that stays with you forever.

"I had wondered who called, and why, and what made her so upset. But I'd rather wonder than get answers I couldn't live with." (Pg. 160)
I think we all need to realize this.  Curiosity is one of the hardest things to fight in our human nature, but sometimes, I think, we need to step back and think about whether or not this is one stone we should leave unturned.

I know there's so much more we could talk about in these chapters, but I imagine that if you're reading this for the first time, you've got enough thinking to do without our help.  So I'll be seeing y'all next week for the final passage of Looking for Alaska!
Take care, everyone
Scott

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Regarding the page 160 passage, as far as the whole curiosity thing, did you know that the term "curiosity killed the cat" also ends with "but satisfaction brought it back"? I just found about that this week, and I found it interesting. Would satisfaction really bring Pudge back, or at least give him closure? I think so.It's an interesting saying to think about. You might not want to know what happened, but at least it's something instead of sitting on the thought for your entire life.

Ryan said...

Pudge's comment regarding not giving a shit about smelling like smoke hints strongly at post-traumatic depression. When you're in that mindset, you really just don't care. I've been there before, although not under the same circumstances. I've had days, even weeks, during which I did not care at all about even the basics of personal hygiene because everything seemed overwhelming and worthless at the same time. Just some more input to that.

Unknown said...

Pudge is so afraid to be right, that Alaska did, in fact, commit suicide. He wants to believe and think that they all meant something to her. That she wouldn't leave them in the labyrinth after she taught them so much about it. How could she change them all, and then just leave them, like she would't be missing piece of each of them. I think truly the previous statements above, scared him so much that he literally did not care, and numbed him to every other emotion and event going on around him after her death.

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.